Having healthfully prepared protein on hand for on-the-go meals is a MUST when it comes to packing healthy meals to eat throughout your day. Put 4 to 6 ounces of protein (like this amazing pulled chicken!), a handful of cooked veggies and a handful of fresh arugula in a little Tupperware and drizzle on a bit of homemade balsamic dressing for a simple, quick, get-lean meal.
Eating small meals every few hours consisting of protein and veggies is the most reliable way that I know of to drop body fat and maintain a steady flow of energy throughout the day. It’s pretty darn tasty too, when you make the meals yourself!
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
Here’s what you need for this recipe:
- 2 ½ lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- Rinse the chicken breast and pat dry. Season with the salt and pepper on all sides.
- In a slow cooker, whisk the chicken broth, tomato paste, paprika and garlic. Add the seasoned chicken breast and the bay leaves. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours, flipping the chicken after 1 hour.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let cool for 20 minutes. Strain the broth. Use two forks to gently shred the chicken, discarding skin, fat, cartilage and bones.
- Store the chicken and broth separately in the fridge to use for up to 4 days.
One serving equals: 191 calories, 5g fat, 3g carbohydrate, 1g sugar, 960mg sodium, 0g fiber, and 34g protein.