Not feeling creative? No need to make up your own fitness soup recipe, I’ve got the perfect one for you here. Enjoy this lightened version of classic chicken soup with a leafy, green salad.
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thigh cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced thyme
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 8 cups broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ cups celery root, peeled and diced
- 1 cup small green squash, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, minced
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F and move a rack to the lowest position. Generously season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Brown half of the chicken and transfer to a plate. Repeat with another Tablespoon of olive oil and the other half of the chicken. Once browned transfer the rest of the chicken to a plate.
- Add the remaining Tablespoon of olive oil to the pot over medium high heat. Add the onions and salt. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for 3 minutes. Add the coconut flour and brown for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broth and the wine. Add the sweet potato, celery root, squash, carrots and bay leaf. Add the chicken to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cover and transfer to the preheated oven for an hour. Remove the bay leaf, garnish with fresh parsley and serve warm.
One serving equals: 249, Fat: 10g, Sodium: 513mg, Carbs: 8g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 3g, Protein: 28g