Who knew there were recipes for healthy tater tots?!
Incredibly, these tots could be included as part of a fat loss diet. This recipe is a take on cauliflower tater tots – sans dairy. If you want to add in some cheese that would definitely work, but the recipe doesn’t require any cheese to stick together and to taste phenomenal. Enjoy!
1 head cauliflower
¼ cup almond flour
¼ cup nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons flax meal
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ cup red bell pepper, minced
1 tablespoon fresh parsely, minced
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Steam the cauliflower florets for 10 minutes, until very soft. Transfer to a colander to drain. Transfer the cauliflower to the center of a stack of folded paper towels and squeeze to remove as much liquid as possible.
3. Combine the almond flour, nutritional yeast, flax, salt, pepper garlic and onion powders in a mixing bowl. Separate half of the flour mixture into a shallow bowl.
4. Add the cauliflower, egg, onion, bell pepper and parsley into the mixing bowl with half of the flour mixture. Mix well and mash the cauliflower into small pieces.
5. Use 1 Tablespoon scoops to form the cauliflower dough into tot shapes. Dredge the tots through the remaining flour mixture. Place the tots on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Makes 16 tots.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden.
One serving equals: 136 calories, 6g fat, 276mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 0g sugar and 11g protein.